"No Air" interpretted by Ally and Rlee2828

AllyBallyBabe Duet with rlee2828. Always impressive when duets are done in ASL and always impressive when Ally makes music interpretation videos! Thanks to Ally for the interview!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Interview from AllyASL!

Here is the much anticipated interview I promised from YouTube's Ally ASL ENJOY!

Allyson Townsend
Senior Deaf Education Major, ASL Interpreting
MinorBaylor University

How did you get started signing and why did you start making videos on youtube?
----When I was in Middle School, I had a Deaf girl in my class and she had an interpreter. Everyday I would just watch in amazement at the interpreter and how the girl was able to understand what the teacher said, by using her hands. I was blown away. One day my teacher in that class, handed out a paper with the manual alphabet on it. I studied it so much and eventually memorized the letters. I confronted the girl and asked her if she would help me learn ASL. I was very interested. I invited her to come to my church as well, and we eventually became very good friends. She was one of the reasons I started making videos of signing songs. One summer we all went to a church camp in New Mexico. The church camp did not provide an interpreter (which now, looking back, infuriates me, but we'll nix that conversation for now, haha). I ended up trying my hardest to interpret as accurately and as best as I could. Keep in mind, I only have two years of ASL under my belt at this point in time. But I'd like to feel that I did a good job, because at the end of the camp, she accepted Christ into her heart, and it was amazing. Anyways, during this camp, we would sing songs. I noticed that my friend felt the vibrations of the music, and then just signed the words on the screen, but really didn't get the rhythm of how the words fit with the music. I would sign with her, so she would know when the words went with the music. She really enjoyed it, and that's what really inspired me.

What is/was your favorite song to sign?
----Hm. It is very difficult to choose a favorite. Haha. I love them all, really. Let's see. Anything Taylor Swift, because her songs are pretty upbeat and fun to sign. I also really enjoyed Tik Tok by Ke$ha, and Fireflies by Owl City.

Do you feel that making these videos has improved your sign language or other skills?
----Definitely. Signing these songs has helped me with my interpreting skills. Having to read the lyrics and really try and discover what the artist is trying to say. Interpreting isn't just taking the English words and using signs for each word. It's really identifying the underlying message and getting that message across in a visual and accurate way. It has helped me with learning new signs, keeping up with my signing skills, as well as interpreting.

Where do you see yourself after graduating?
----Well, currently I am applying at a bunch of Deaf schools around the nation. The school that I have been really leaning on is the Phoenix Day School for the Deaf in Phoenix, Arizona. I have wanted to work there for quite some time. I don't really have a reason, other than I just love Arizona and my friend works there now and loves it. :)

Your YouTube page says you want to make progress in Deaf education- do you have any specific goals or ideas for Deaf education?
----These are great questions, by-the-way. Yes, I do want to make progress in Deaf Education. The reason being is that there are many schools out there who are desperate to have Deaf Ed teachers. When desperation comes around, then quality goes down. Many teachers are not highly qualified and/or certified and that just means that our children are not receiving the absolute BEST education they should be receiving. I want to change that. I want to make sure that my students get the best education they can get. And that they can get it in any means necessary. Many Deaf children, as well as hearing children, have many different needs. It's important to reach each child at his level and his needs and teach him through that. I find that many teachers just take the easy way out and do not challenge the children. Either because they don't believe the children can succeed, or because they are lazy and don't really want to get down to the nitty gritty to teach like they should. Let me be clear that there are MANY Deaf Ed teachers out there who are wonderful. All three teachers I interned with are amazing and truly dedicated to teaching and pushing their students to their full potential. I am just saying that there are some districts out there who push Deaf Ed to the side.. as if it isn't that important. And I want to stop that. I believe that Deaf children can accomplish anything that a hearing child can. Their Deafness is not a problem... it is part of who they are. And it will not hinder them from learning. You just have to find the best way to teach that child. I hope I can impact my students in the same way that my teachers impacted me.

Any songs you have in the works for us to look forward to?
----I am currently working on a new video, but who knows when it'll be completed. It's a duet, so it's hard matching up schedules, especially at such a busy and crucial time.

Anything else you would like to share?
----I get a lot of people asking me for advice or tips on "how to get so good." Really, the best advice I can give is to be active in the Deaf community. That is the best way to learn because you are learning from the source. Immersing yourself in the language and culture is the fastest and most accurate way to learn. I love the Deaf Community and I love interacting with them at different events. It's the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Links